21 March 2011

Raindrops

It was under threatening rainclouds that Megan and I caught Vertical and DeeJay Gosper at Lanyon. I’ve written about both here, so no need to write extensively.

Vertical doesn’t perform too often but it’s a pleasure when I catch them. Their music is inventive, both in Paul’s arrangements of classic pop tunes and original tunes by Eric and Niels. It gives the players a more challenging framework than the stock standards and you can sense the band’s response. Eric stunned with some fluent solos (nothing new!). I especially noticed one on Niels’ tune, Monday night at BMH, a straight-ahead post-bop reminiscing on London’s Bar Music Hall, with diminished double stops and a Stanley Clarkish pizz descending slide that ended with a few delicious articulated notes low on A- and E-strings. Niels always impresses me with a gentle lyricism that breaks into easy dissonance and speed. Paul explores and moves harmonies with ease, but I noticed it more in his comping this day. I also noticed how easily Chris and Eric moved underlying grooves throughout the two sets, holding steady then regularly changing for development or variation, all so clear and uncluttered and so well shared throughout the band. There were rearrangements of One hand, one heart from West Side Story (it’s such a beautiful song but does anyone else play it?), Beatles’ Blackbird, and of course Raindrops keep falling on my head, and a few originals including Eric’s pensive Homeward and Niels’ Monday night at BMH. This is a band of seriousness and easy competence that always rewards an attentive ear.

DeeJay arrived soon after with her crafted blues and light jazz. This is a different approach. Still careful and precise but a bit less mobile and embedded in an earthier blues tradition. The tunes were standards from both blues and jazz repertoires with a mix of originals that DeeJay has penned. Bass was covered by busy Mike’s left hand. Guitarist Damien Neil was new to me with well articulated country-cross soloing that added a tinkling air over the more earthy blues harp and vocals and piano/drums. I was also most impressed by the clarity of sound. This was outdoors so free of mushy reverb. The voice was louder but unusually free of colouration. I think the PA was HK Elements with a Soundcraft mixer. It was just a small bin and the thinnest stack of tweeters that stood about 5 feet high, but amazingly effective technology.

Vertical are Eric Ajaye (bass), Niels Rosendahl (soprano, tenor sax), Paul Dal Broi (piano) and Chris Thwaite (drums). DeeJay Gosper (vocals) led a band with Mike Dooley (piano), Damien Neil (guitar) and Michael Stratford (drums).

3 comments:

Rachael Thoms said...

I use a HK Lucas Impact and would kill to get my hands on the new Elements rig... Won't be investing any time soon as my current rig is gorgeous and cost an arm and a leg, as HK high quality gear tends to do. I can't wait to hear one in action! Did the PA belong to DJ Gosper?

www.rachaelthoms.com

Eric Pozza said...

Rachael, Not 100% sure, but i think it's HK Elements. Wonderful uncoloured sound and small as! Contact Michael or DeeJay to find out more. Eric

Jazz Music Website said...

You definitely need true skill to pull off what this group succeeds in doing. They need to perform more I say! Great article and nice writing. I will explore this group more now.