20 October 2008

Our own jazz history

I knew I'd noted John Sharpe's history of Canberra Jazz on CJ. I had, but it's been lost in the news items from early 2006. So here it is recorded for the blog.

John Sharpe is a well known trombonist with a long history in the Canberra trad jazz scene, and an interest in the full range of jazz, from trad to modern. He recently published a lengthy book on the history of jazz in Canberra, so we have our own history. I've just browsed the book. It's big, contains a long history (1925-2005), a list of ~1,000 musicians and lots of pics. John tells me it's available at Dymocks in Civic and the National Library bookstore.

Price ~$39 for the paperback of 399 pages. Well worth our support.

Sharpe, John (John Bruce), 1941- A cool capital : the Canberra jazz scene, 1925-2005 / John Sharpe. Torrens, A.C.T. : J. Sharpe, 2006.

No comments: