15 December 2007

Jazz can at UCan

I particularly like it when I’m out and about and unexpectedly come on some nice jazz. It makes me feel the jazz scene is bigger and more invasive than I know of. I was out at the University of Canberra on Thursday and happened on Aron Lyon (guitar) playing with Sam Young (drums) and Gareth Hill (bass). It was just a short set as part of a celebration for the end of year. It may have been a throwaway set, with tunes like All blues, but it was not tame. The guitar was fluent and fierce at times. The bass gave some effective solos, and Sam was observant and responsive. It was also interesting to see that Aron was playing a guitar from a notable local luthier, Ray Berketa. Ray’s a nice and helpful guy and produces a magnificent product.
  • Berketa guitars
  • No comments: