26 February 2006

Wayne Kelly Trio

Probably my favourite trio around town - partly due to the playing, partly due to the style. WKT are Wayne Kelly (piano), Ben O'Loghlin (bass) and Mark Sutton (drums). WKT is playing 3-5pm alternate Sundays, at Edgar's Inn in the Ainslie Shops. Today they played some originals, but mostly standards. All in a modern interpretation, with excellent inventiveness and close interaction. Mark is master of the brushes. Wayne is endlessly inventive, and often joking on the keys. Ben is with them all the way, and taking lots of solos in this environment. An education in laid-back intensity. Catch this band!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, was curious to know which Sunday's the WKT play? You mentioned alternate Sunday's but if you could let me know their next date that would be fabulous :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, was just wondering when the WKT have their next gig at the Inn??

Anonymous said...

I was speaking to Ben the other day, and he said they haven't played there recently. Contact me (see Canberrjazz.net home page). I'll put you on to Ben or Wayne to find out where they are playing now. Eric

Anonymous said...

WTK played at narrabundah colloege earlier this year, and they were awesome! I was just wondering if you could point me to either their website or somewhere where they are selling their cd...

Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous, Contact me at the email address on the CJ front page and I can give you a phone number. I don't like to publish it here. Eric